Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Kanha Day 1

The body was still trying to get used to the temperature outside. We decided to take a tea break, milk break for me. Wow, hot milk, tasted awesome. And as the sun was rising, temperature started to become pleasant. And soon, we continued our journey to our destination. I was so tired. All the previous weekends were so exhausting. I dozed off, and was woken up when we reached the place where we were booked for the following days. It seemed like a village, as in there was greenery everywhere. Who said it was cold in Kanha? The sun was right above our heads, shining bright and radiating the heat. Felt good after a chilly morning. We were directed to our room. As soon we entered the room, I felt as if I have entered a different zone. It was chilly inside. I was searching for the AC, didn’t find as it was a non-AC room. I failed to understand how the room was so cool, in spite of weather outside. Never mind I had to get ready in an hour for the safari. Quickly freshened up and left the room. I was so so so hungry. I was informed there was a dhaba nearby, which serves good food. The order was already placed so that we won’t get late for the safari. 2 dry sabji, dal and chapathi. The food was awesome, especially the dal. I was content. We were going to the safari on a gypsy. Sounded exciting, but also a little scary. What if the tiger or any animal jumps inside the gypsy, onto me. I didn’t voice my thought. There was a long process to be followed before entering the park. First, your identity will be verified against the proof you have provided. Pay the entry fee. Once all the formalities are done, you can enter at 15:30. We were accompanied by a guide. Everytime, we would have a different guide. We entered the park. It was a different experience travelling in a gypsy. Cool air hitting your face, the feeling of actually being in a forest as the vehicle is open. As we moved further, we saw a set of 5 owlets peeking out of the tree hollow. They looked very cute, seemed to be sleeping. Didn't click pictures as we were more eager to see the tiger. We thought we would click when we are coming back. The first animal we saw was a Barasingha. This is the only park which has barasingha in the world. It realized that we were looking at it, so it stood still. As we went ahead, we saw a Gaur, also known as Indian Bison. Spotted Deers were in abundant. I actually didn’t expect to sight a tiger as its not a zoo that it would be silently sitting inside a cage. The couple who were with us, had visited many times before. They kept saying names, as soon a bird was sighted. By the time I used to search for the ‘named’ bird, it would have already vanished. Slowly, I got bored as I couldn’t sight a bird while the others were enjoying. The weather had started to turn cool. Then the guide started giving information about the trees. There was this tree which I must have seen many times, while travelling, it appeared white as its outer covering had come off. The guide informed, it was known as 'Ghost Tree', as it shines at night and appears like a ghost. Scary! He seemed knowledgeable about the trees and birds. He kept looking on the tracks. I was wondering what is he searching for. Later, he showed us pugmarks of a tiger. Wow! As we were moving ahead, the guide showed a Sambar deer, who was making a sound. He said, its a call that the tiger is nearby. We didn't move for few minutes thinking of sighting a tiger, but no luck. We moved ahead. Before, I knew I had started to enjoy the safari, it came to an end. The safari was a short one. While, coming back the owlets were missing. Now that was bad. We came back, had tea and went to rest for a while. Later, we had dinner, kinda ok, I wasn’t hungry at all, as the temperature was dropping outside and wanted to slip inside the blanket. By the time, we went to the room, the temperature had dropped tremendously, later got to know, it was 2 degree Celsius. Next morning, had to be up by 5:30, as the safari was at 6:40. The blanket was also angry with me, as it was cold to me.
Day 1 completed. Not that exciting. Sighted a few animals and heard a few names of birds.

No comments: