A conversation between two girls during the lunch break which I overheard, and later became a part of it.
N: I walk so much these days.
P: Hmmm…
N: Ask SD, how much I walk these days.
Me: Yeah, she walks a lot.
N: SD, I will start eating boiled food from today.
P: I have become so fat sitting at one place.
<let me tell you, these girls are underweight>
Me: Why are you both insulting me, by talking of reducing your weight.
P: Why? Why should you be worried about your weight?
N: Yeah. You are married.
Me(Fuming): So? Does that mean, I shouldn’t take care of myself.
N: Yeah, you don’t have to dress for the guys…
S: Anyways, who will look at married women
Me: :-O
After saying those words, I thought for a second and realized that, I am actually not taking care of myself. Gone are those days, when formal attire consisted of shirts and trousers and casual attire consisted of t-shirt and jeans. Now, former and the latter part have changed and merged into a common attire i.e., salwar kameez. I have put on so much of weight that slowly I have moved to dresses which hide your actual figure. This story is not a unique one, it’s a story of every girl who has completed an year or so after marriage. We, women, get involved so much with family life that we forget the responsibility towards us, our body. We neglect to such an extent that we become obese, have hormonal imbalance which leads to further issues. I have known a friend of mine for years together, she was slim-trim, a figure you will envy. After 8-9 months of marriage, when I met her, I was shocked. She had put on considerable amount of weight. People said, its happiness which has got into her, which is showing on the weighing scale. She got herself checked, and got to know, she had hormonal imbalance, for which she has to take medicine for the rest of her life. She is clueless, how did all this happen. Even me, I put on a whopping 8 kgs after my engagement.
Why do we women, become so careless about ourselves? We do have a responsibility towards ourselves, but we neglect it, procrastinating it every time our body reminds us. A marriage shouldn’t actually make us ignorant. People say its love, but before marriage we receive so much love from our parents that we should have been more ignorant, but that’s not the case. We take care about our food, about everything. Even men put on weight after marriage, but it is relatively lesser than that of women. Probably, we tend to finish off the left-over of dinner thinking who will save it for tomorrow, and it’s good to have fresh food each day. Yes, it has been in my case. The other instance would be, your husband, who is a present day modern man, doesn’t want you to feel that you both are not equal, and expects you to eat as much he eats. Yeah, it does happen. And the other instance is that your relatives are jealous that you are slim, and don’t look like a married couple, so they call you for lunch or dinner and feed like you haven’t eaten for ages to get married. After all this, your appetite has increased and you can compete with anyone for a food competition.
I guess, these many reasons are enough to forget your responsibility towards oneself. But, I will try and be more responsible after that comment from my colleague and prove her that even married women can look smart and sexy, not for others but for oneself.
2 comments:
LOL!!! "And the other instance is that your relatives are jealous that you are slim, and don’t look like a married couple, so they call you for lunch or dinner and feed like you haven’t eaten for ages to get married. ".... couldnt hav said it btr!! :P:
@Divya: Yeah, once you enter their house, they will lay down the plates and make a mountain of food on the plate. Once we try to finish it till half, they fill it again. Just wonder the look on our faces :-|
Post a Comment