Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Customer and Provider

There have been instances in the past, and they would definitely occur in the near future, where you feel guilty of being a customer. We pay for a service, expect that the service assured will be given. But, no, the same service is not given, most of the times. Be it travel, accommodation or for that matter food, the service fails at some point of time. Being a customer, to any of the services, I expect 100% satisfaction and get only 20-30% of it. And when we question back for an unsatisfying service, the answer what we get it, please adjust. Why should we adjust or rather compromise? Haven’t we paid for the services? Didn’t we book it on time? Or is it that your brand is not fit for the customer to expect a 100%? Be it auto-rickshaw, buses, trains, or any mode of travel, we compromise every time. One of the most dissatisfying factor is that, the transport vehicle wouldn’t drop you at your said destination. It will either drop you on the highway, before the flyover, or someplace which is closer to the driver’s house. The other day, we were travelling, and had booked 2 tickets in a bus. The lever of the leg-rest was broken and the back-rest lever of the other seat was missing. To reach my destination, I would take 6 hours and I cannot sit uncomfortably for so long. So we complained, and got new seats allocated by the admin who had allocated the previous seats. The bus started and the conductor asked for the tickets. After seeing the tickets he inquired why we were not sitting at the given seats. So we explained. For which he said, if the current seats are allocated to some other person, we need to go back to the previous seats. I was in a calm mood, but this statement irritated me. I said, repair it, and we are ready to sit there. He said, that cannot be done. I said, then how will we sit there. He said, he cannot do anything. That irked me further. I said, let’s go back to the stand and resolve the issue. I didn’t want to compromise on this issue. He said, you should have seen the seat before booking. As if they keep it on display before booking. Nonetheless, the bus comes just few minutes before the departure. We called the travel number on the ticket and raised the issue, and asked him to resolve. We were able to travel without any issues. Here, if we would have agreed to compromise with the seats, he would have made us sit on those seats by throwing some emotional dialogues.
The other day, there was no vegetables at home, so my hubby took chapati and took sabji from his office canteen. Evening when he came back, he said I took this sabji. I was like good. Then he says, I found a plastic piece in it. I asked, did you show it to them. He said, yes and it got escalated. After few days, I got to know, they were fined. How much ever small the amount they were fined, but the main point is that the issue was raised. That’s how the service providers will realize that the customers cannot be taken for granted.
At times, we do not raise the issue thinking, that they are helpless, they are innocent and blah, blah. Like I felt few months back, when I found a staple pin in the chapati. I did not raise the issue, nor did I stop eating the chapati from the hotel. Slowly, it so happened, the waiters used to give the burnt chapatis sometimes. That’s when I realized, enough is enough and I cannot take it anymore. But, I didn’t complain, which was wrong on my part, as they did not come to know that the customer is dissatisfied. Same with my tailor. I have been stitching my clothes from this tailor from my college days, and I really liked it. Until, he started stitching loose clothes or too tight clothes. Even after giving him the measurement, he started doing mistakes. I stopped going. I felt who will argue, if not him, I will get my clothes stitched from some other tailor. I can recollect ‘n’ number of such instances, where I have been not happy with the product or the service, but I keep mum, thinking, who will waste the energy, but now I realize, it would have done good to other customers as well.
2 years back, the furniture was made at my place. The furniture guy had done a good job at my bro-in-law’s place, so he was hired for the work. But he did such a bad job, as there was no one to monitor him from time to time as we were all busy. He took advantage of this. We did tell him from time to time, about the defects, but he kept giving excuses. Finally, we didn’t refer him to anyone, instead we told others about his bad service. If he would have given a good service, he would have got more customers, in-turn he would have earned a good name.
Last year, when we had bought LED TV, we got DTH connection of a known company, free of cost. We had to pay the installation charges. We paid for it on spot, but the installation guys never came. Even after so many follow-ups, they never came. We got the connection cancelled and the call center guys were least bothered that they are losing a customer, and willing cancelled it. Every person who is part of the service, should realize that they are responsible. The other case was that of the TV. We decided to go for the EMI option with another well-known finance company. The agent messed up big time as he didn’t know the exact amount of EMI. He gave us one amount, so we gave him post-dated cheques with that amount. Later, we came to know that money was getting deducted from ECS. Surprising , as we had given cheque, that too with a different amount. When we went deep into the matter, we came to know, one of the cheques was cancelled and submitted for ECS. And the form submitted for ECS, had a different signature. Clear case, of signature-forgery. Both, the bank as well as the finance company are responsible in this case. The bank blames the finance company, while the latter blames the agent, who had left the company. The blame game goes on and on. Initially, we thought of going to the consumer court, but who has the energy. And, just wonder, if we find the same kind of people over there.
This morning, my friend narrated this incident which happened when she was coming to office. She usually travels by auto-rickshaw. The driver asked her how much she will pay, before she even boarded the auto. She told the usual amount. Later, she saw the auto had a digital meter, which was in working condition. She enquired why isn’t he going as per the meter, he said, it is faulty and will blast. Wow!!! What an excuse!!! To earn extra money, these people will give such stupid reasons. The other day, my other friend wanted to travel by auto. The auto driver asked, I will go, only if you have Rs. 12 change. What can we say now!!!
What I can say is that, this can be resolved if, provider and the consumer, both work together. But, in this busy world, we do not seem to care much. In case of monopoly, there might be lot of consumer complaints. On the other hand, if we have many options, we leave the current option and go for the option. Loss of the provider.

No comments: