Sunday, February 21, 2010

My first hand experience of my first trip from Mumbai to US of A

30th Jan '10 is going to be one memorable day for me, at least for now JJJ. I say this each time when there is an addition to my good memories section. It was so fast that even now I feel as if everything is still the same. As if I am still in Pune, I am still staying with brother and bhabhi, and when I go to office, I will meet my batch team. But, no, I will have to wait for 3 months to enjoy all this again. Till 29th morning I wasn't sure, whether I was supposed to fly on 30th. And in the evening I get a ticket to Denver. With very little preparations done and shopping still pending, I was on my toes till I took the flight. To be precise I did forget few of my must-haves. Never mind at least I had my passport and ticket with me J, which are the most, must-haves. Till I reached airport, I was continuously on call, informing all my friends and relatives about my sudden change of contact details. While some of them are still left uninformed, but what to do L. Never mind I will pataofy with them, once I am back.
Entering the airport alone, with almost 50 kg of luggage, seems unbelievable. And operating the trolley for the first time was such a pain, as I missed hitting many people. Damn how do you take a turn with a trolley? Taking a turn in a car seems so easy, but this vehicle was adamant on hitting people on its way. Luckily, one gentleman helped me each time there was a turn to be taken and I reached the check-in successfully. Job completed normally J. Reaching baggage check-in took around an hour. Family and friends waited patiently till I appeared again after check-in. I felt so lonely on the other side of the airport, felt like how am I gonna manage without them. But as usual, I didn't show them that I was already feeling home-sick. Only after I re-appeared, they left for home. I know, mom-dad, suddenly became silent thinking how am I going to reach US on my own and stay there for 3 months. Worry not, I will as I did for 2 long years in Mangalore.
After that I went on to the immigration, then to the security check, and then to the terminal from where I would get my first flight to Dubai. Yes, to Dubai then to Washington and then to Denver. Sounds so boring, but I enjoyed each halt. Travelling alone has always made me so excited. Do what you like, roam where you want. The whole funda of travelling solo brings in a sense of responsibility, be it eating sensibly or being on time for the flight or listening attentively to the announcements.
My flight was at 18:55 to Dubai. Roaming in the airport was fun. The best part of the airport was that there were stores which sold watches, cosmetics, etc. and the rates were in $. For a moment I wondered whether I had already in US. The rates made me sit quietly and wait for the flight announcements. At around 18:00 they announced for boarding and off I went. It felt like a daily routine to me. Boarded the bus, which took me to the airplane and then boarded the plane. Aaha, the steward and the airhostess' were so handsome and beautiful. I got an aisle seat, but I wanted a window seat as it would only take me 4-5 hours to reach Dubai. But then that was ok, as I slept through the flight. But I must say the steward was cute with a very warm smile JJJ. Aah don't tell me all the cute guys are working for the airlines J. Soon I reached Dubai. After the clearance, I walked towards my terminal. It is such a bright place. Felt so positive about walking alone all the way to my terminal which was on the other end of the airport. And I had a lot of time to pass so I walked back again to where I had walked in, watching everything and everyone. People were so different there, different color, different dressing style… I realized I was no longer in my home country; I was abroad, roaming as if I had been there for ages together. Soon it was time to board the flight. I got through the security check, where they even checked my smelly shoes, so embarrassing L. Off I went inside the plane, and soon I was dozing in minutes even before the plane took off. Guess all the walking and the laptop on my back made me so tired. The time I boarded was 00:00. After sleeping for hours together I got up to find the time to be 1:00. I felt like I lost track of time and place. I slept for so long and the time was only 1:00. Is it that I slept for more than 12 hours??? I actually felt like I will go mad if I tried to analyze what time is it, so I went back to sleep. There was an announcement for morning breakfast, and the time was 3:00 in the morning. I thought people sleep then, I didn't know we have breakfast, but I was hungry so I didn't complain. There was a fruit plate, bread in shape of a shell, a plate full of potato fries and something creamy which tasted like egg. Swallowed everything along with bitter tea and went off to sleep. We were touching base at Washington at 6:00 and I was all worried about my luggage which was to be rechecked in, that is what the personnel at the Mumbai airport had told me. I cleared the immigration and rechecked in my luggage and I had almost 3-4 hours to pass. No worries as the airport was so big that I kept going to and fro and looking out of each window I found. It was fun roaming. People were ready to help you, even before you ask for help. I needed some change, so that when I reached Denver, I would be able to call up someone to pick me up. But the exchange guy didn't have any as he had just opened. But then a gentleman standing in the queue told me that I would get it from the coffee shop. Wow! So I went there, and asked for change, but the lady at the counter told me that she didn't have $100 change. She asked me to check other shop. I lost hope and went back to waiting for my flight. There was this guy who was also present at the counter called me back and told me he had change. Wow, I got change JJJ. After going home I realized I had 2 dollars extra K. Damn why didn't I check it properly over there! Never mind if I get a chance I will return the money. And I went back to waiting for my flight. Got in the flight and went off to sleep. Within some time I reached Denver. I walked out of the plane and followed instructions to reach the baggage counter. First an escalator then a train to reach another terminal, from there I asked a receptionist and eventually found the baggage counter. And also my colleagues waiting for me, to pick me up. Wow so happy to see them J. Got my luggage and went off to my friend's apartment in their car. The way to home was so lonely. I could only find cars, very less people around. Seemed a lonely place. Reminded me of traffic jams in India, and people waiting to cross the roads the moment the signal turns green.
After reaching home I opened my suitcase to take out something, and I found a pamphlet inside saying "Notice of Baggage Inspection". That's when I realized that I opened my bag without unlocking it as it was already unlocked. Then I found out my bag's lock was broken and they had checked my luggage. They could have asked me to open it and could have checked it in front of me. But no, they did it when I was not around. Why such a behavior towards people coming from other countries.
I just want to say one thing, My name is SSSSSleeping Devil, and I am not a terrorist JJJ.
The trip was wonderful and as I love to travel alone it made me happier that I didn't have to travel with someone. Thank you so much God for such an opportunity, I will be grateful to you always JJJ.

No comments: