Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Kanha Day 4

As soon I woke up, I felt lazy to get out of the bed. The morning was as cold as ever. But then I wanted to go ahead and enjoy the last safari of our trip. We reached the entrance of the park. After the formalities were done, we entered the park. We asked Raju to wait at every point, where we sight an animal or a bird. As usual the Owlets were waiting for us. I will just name the birds I saw throughout our trip. Red wattled lapwing, yellow wattled lapwing, cattle egret, red avadavat(red munia), Racket-tailed Drongo, black drongo, common kingfisher, white throated kingfisher, grey hornbill, babbler, sunbird, Indian roller. Butterflies were in abundance at some places in the forest. They had bright colors over them, as if someone has painted over them. We sighted a wild cat twice, at the same place. The cat was quick to run away before we could even switch on our cameras. It had a slight bigger ears. The bigger the ears, the more sensitive they are to sounds. We also got to see jackals. They were roaming about carelessly, not worrying about who is around or even caring we were around. We got to see a lot of spotted deer and gaur. Camp elephants were used for the tiger show. In the morning safari, these elephants were taken where the tiger is suspected and they would circle around it and stop it from running away. This way the visitors would be able to sight a tiger more easily. Also, we saw a lot of hanuman langusr accompanied by deer. One thing I got to know that the langurs and the deer stayed and moved together. The langurs would act as the eyes of the jungle, and communicating to the deer about the presence of the tiger. In turn the deer would start calling out and letting everyone know about the same. Also, the langurs would taste the fruit and throw it, which was picked up by the deer. We saw a lot of bamboo trees. Black bucks were recently introduced in the park and given a specific stretch of land in the forest. Peafowl and peahens were also a common sighting. Also, the famous Jungle book by  Rudyard Kipling, was inspired by Kanha’s grassy meadows and bamboo trees and the story was based out of this forest.
We went back a little early as we had to leave for our train. We had booked a cab for Nagpur, from where we were taking a train to Mumbai. We quickly packed our bags and had a quick lunch. I wanted to take something back with me reminding me of this trip. I bought a t-shirt which has a picture of 2 tigers. There is always sadness when a good trip comes to an end. But, it was an experience, an awesome experience.
End of the trip. A really good trip. A smile stretches across my face thinking of Munna.

No comments: