We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807 - 1882)
Parents' expectations
Teachers' expectations
Neighbor's expectations
Relatives' expectations
Spouse's expectations
Friends' expectations
Colleagues' expectations
Boss' expectations
"You should fulfill my expectations, it's your responsibility."
"I will fulfill your expectations, and make you proud."
"I have fulfilled your expectations. But still I am not satisfied."
I am not in this world to live up to other people's expectations, nor do I feel that the world must live up to mine.
Fritz Perls
Why can't we just forget about what others expect from us, and start expecting what we want from ourselves! Even after fulfilling others expectations, we are not happy with ourselves. Even by seeing others happy because of us, we tend to remain sad. One of the main reasons behind this sadness is that, we have accomplished what others wanted out of us, but we couldn't achieve what we had thought for us. When we have fulfilled everyone's expectations, we feel empty. As we have never expected for ourselves. We can do only what others tell us to do. We have never tried our limits in doing something for ourselves. We work for our family and children. Have we ever thought, life would have been simpler and happier if we would have thought for ourselves? The point is we love everybody but ourselves. Till we don't start loving ourselves, we wouldn't get the love from others, the way we wanted it to be. We wouldn't get the respect, the way we want people to. Half the questions in life would have never risen.
I've decided that the key to happiness is low expectations.
Laura Moncur, Merriton, 06-04-08
Quotes from Quotations Page
Love yourself and you will find that people start loving and respecting you the way you want.
2 comments:
"The point is we love everybody but ourselves." You hit the nail right on its head!!! :)
@Divya: We tend to take ourselves for granted, thats when we dont feel love anywhere :)
Post a Comment